Background Check: What You Need to Know Before Making a Hire
Background checks are an essential part of the hiring process that enable employers to make informed decisions about potential employees. Such as their education, employment history, criminal record, and credit history.
This information is used to evaluate whether the candidate is suitable for the job and to identify any potential risks or concerns. Conducting a thorough background check is an important part of the hiring process.
That helps employers make informed decisions about potential employees. Then One question is: what do you need to know before making a hire?
Before making a hire, it is important to consider the following: the role’s responsibilities, the job qualifications and skills required, the organizational culture and expectations, the budget for the role, the timeline to fill the role, the onboarding process, and any legal considerations.
Additionally, employers should review their recruitment process to ensure they are hiring in a fair and legal manner.
Process of Background Check Before Hiring
1. Develop a job description and job posting: The employer should develop a job description that outlines the essential functions, qualifications, and experience requirements of the job.
This job posting should include a statement of non-discrimination, and should be posted in a visible location in the workplace. ‘
2. Pre-screen applications: The employer should review all applications to ensure that all of the minimum qualifications are met.
3. Interviews: The employer should conduct interviews to further evaluate the qualifications and experience of the candidates.
4. Background Check: The employer should conduct a background check to verify the candidate’s identity, criminal record, educational background, employment history, credit history, and references.
5. Reference Check: The employer should contact the references provided by the candidate to get an additional perspective on their qualifications, character, and work ethic.
Category Wise Costing Of Background Check
The costing of Background Verification services can vary depending on the specific services and the level of detail required for the check.
The number of checks required, the location of the candidate, and the turnaround time required. Generally, background check services can be categorized into the following types:
1. Criminal record check – This involves checking for criminal records in various databases, including local, state, and federal criminal records. The cost of this type of check can range from $10 to $50 per check.
2. Employment verification – This involves verifying the candidate’s employment history, including their job title, duties, and length of employment. The cost of this type of check can range from $5 to $20 per check.
3. Education verification – This involves verifying the candidate’s educational qualifications, including the degree earned, the school attended, and the date of graduation. The cost of this type of check can range from $10 to $30 per check.
4. Credit check – This involves checking the candidate’s credit history, including their credit score, outstanding debts, and payment history. The cost of this type of check can range from $10 to $30 per check.
5. Professional license verification – This involves verifying the candidate’s professional license, such as a nursing or real estate license. The cost of this type of check can range from $10 to $30 per check.
In addition to these specific checks, many background check services also offer packages that combine multiple checks. These packages can range in cost from $50 to $200 per check, depending on the number and type of checks included.